re Jesse Bogle, from Al Reynolds

Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board: Old Boot Shops

Jesse Bogle boots, collection of Mark Fletcher
04-06-2009, 05:33 PM

This is a bad scan from a poor quality source. This is the inside of the old Dixon Boot Shop in Ardmore OK, before they moved to Wichita Falls in the md-1940s. You can see that it is long and narrow too.
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I've work in some shops like that with one greasy light bulb that you had to strike a match to see if it was still on or not.
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Mark,
Thanks for posting the bottom view of the Jesse Bogle boots. I saw a pair of his boots not long ago and I just loved the way he did the sole edges in the shank area. I was wishing recently that I'd taken a picture or could see it again.

Lisa
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Lisa,

Al sent me a sketch that he did of the bottom of Jesse Bogle's boots, I will scan that and post it tonight. It is real neat.

Mike, I thought that looked like you in the middle of the picture with the hat on. I tired to buy that picture on Ebay when it went for sale, someone paid much bigger $$$ for it than I wanted to.

Mark
04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Mark,
I believe you may be right. That fellow looks like he is the only one not working, just standing there talking. On the other hand, I try not to do much standing up.
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
All,

I have received a few emails from Jesse Bogle's son, Gene. Any of these names sound familiar? I have asked Gene for a photo of his boots. Here is some Gene's info;

------------------------------------

Jesse did have a few employees over the years. Probobly the Best one he had was Cliff Jones from around Brownfield or Lubbuck, Texas.
I was only about 12-14 yrs. old at the time, but I remember my Dad (Jesse) saying that Cliff Jones had become sheriff over near Lubbuck.
Another long time employee was Freddie Watson. I lost track of Freddie about 1949 when I left home to live in Oregon.

Others who contributed to Jesse's Boots were his wife Maxine. Maxine did a lot of the top
top stitching. Myself, even though young 14-15 did a lot of the stitching on tops. The only other employees I remember were Daughter Linda
and her husband Ted Meier. I don't know of the other employees he had other than long time Repairman by name of Buster.

I still have one of the last pairs of boots made by Jesse. With dark brown Ostritch tops an brown and white inlayed tops. I've only worn then 2 or 3
times as I have Neurothropathy of the feet and cant wear the tight fitting boots anymore.

Hope this has been some help as far as Jesse's employees who helped him make world famous boots.
Dad sold his shop to David Espinosa shortly before he died. David could help for any of other employees.

-----------------------------

A tall texan by the name of Cliff Jones worked for my Dad, Jesse Bogle. Cliff
was one of two good bootmakers that Jesse ever employed.
Jesse was a perfectionist and was very hard to please. Anyway, Cliff Jones quit
making boots and went back to Lubbuck, Texas, or was it
Brownfield, Tx. Iwas just curious if Fred and Dick Jones were related to Cliff
Jones. Cliff's wife was Adrian, (I think).
Jesse was known all over the country and made boots here in Phoenix for 50
some years in the same spot down on E. Van Buren.

I still have one of the last pairs of Jesse's
boots if anyone would be interested in see a photo of them.

08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
My friend Tom Cartledge informed me of an updated Olsen Stelzer web site, here is a neat video from the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmttefmS90

11-05-2015, 01:49 PM
RE: Old Boot Shops
I got a little information on the C C Lee Bootshop in Rule, TX. Carl Chancellor Lee was born in Fairfield TX in 1890. His family moved to Rule in 1906 and opened a harness shop, and later started making boots. He had a couple locations in Rule. The shop stayed in business until the 1950s/1960s. Mr. Lee passed away in 1969. Mr. Lee is on the right in this photo from the other location he worked in Rule. Simkins may be on the left.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Mark Fletcher
"Cowboybootnut"
Find all posts by this user