Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lasting
10-29-2014, 07:22 AM
RE: Lasting
Sharon,
You can get the last out (with difficulty) if you build up the forepart,it doesn't seem to matter if the last has a cone or hinges. Bootmaker's all have different ways on pulling the last, I use a hook, on a last with a cone I'll use a stand up stand. Dick Anderson makes two different last pullers, one that is bench mounted, the other mounted to the wall. Both look helpful and I am thinking about getting one. Pulling the last can be hard for everyone, but there is always a way to do it.
Lee
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2014, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 04:58 PM by SharonKudrle.)
Thank you Mr. Miller. I heard that a cone last was easier, and I did have to cut a shoe once to get it off a last. Other helpful suggestions I got were: try to pour/shake/tap extra powder down the last, tap it gently with a hammer to break the bond, try to twist it gently to loosen it, and do a thorough check to make sure all nails have been pulled. I didn't even whip down the shank and the thing wouldn't come off the last. Was just worrying I cut the insole too far in or made some other mistake using a hinged last. Tried to post a photo, but couldn't get it to come up in the preview pane.
I would like to have one of Mr. Anderson's lasting posts in addition to the last pullers; I do use his crimp boards & awls. Right now I'm on a hamburger budget though, and glad to have it.
Thanks also to Mrs. Miller and Ms. Parmenter for their posts on this forum, the counter tutorial was especially helpful. The parts on skiving, sanding, and attaching with a flatbed machine were very useful indeed. Sharon (in Boston & trying not to nurture the vultures)
11-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Sharon,
Thanks for the kind remarks on the counter tutorial, we did that after getting so many questions about how to do that part. It's great that we can help that way.
When I last, I always dust the last and the lining of the boot with baby powder, this helps with slipping out the last when the boots are done. Always be aware that if the pegs are allowed to go to deep into the last it will make last removal difficult. I am always careful not to peg to deep. I think it would be very tough to inseam so deep that you could sew into the last. I will say that I only try to remove the last when the soles and heels are on, as this gives the boot or shoe rigidity, otherwise it's like trying to remove a sock........ I have done this but you must expect it to be difficult. Lasts can be hard to pull out and everyone has their tricks to help, but as long as you use baby powder and make sure not to leave any of the tacks in that were used to attach the insole you should be fine.
Lee