Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Would You Like To See Discussed On The Forum?
01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board: What Would You Like To See Discussed On The Forum?
All,
If a customer comes in your shop you can know right away if he is a trouble maker or an honest one that needs to be convinced of your quality. But one that calls on the phone or emails you is another story. You can't profile a person on the phone or email..It is impossible and most of our customers come from the phone or from the internet. You don't know who you are talking to or who you are emailing. You could be several days establishing who or what you were dealing with...TR
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Custom Cowboy Boots & Shoes Discussion Board: What Would You Like To See Discussed On The Forum?
See Tex,

This is your experience speaking. In my business I have spent hours with people who are just wasting my time. Over the years I have learned how to recognize some of these folks through experience. Not all of them mind you. Some are really good.

Sometimes, though, I will spend the time, knowing that there is nothing there just giving them an education and planting a seed. I may not get any immediate business from it but they hang up the phone with a lot more information than they had and they spoke to someone helpful and nice.

If they do happen to speak to someone who does need my services they will have had a positive experience with me and share that with the person they are speaking to.

I guess a question that would come from that would be that if you are more effective in person then how do you get the phone or internet contact into your shop?

Thanks,

Mark C.
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Mark ...some very good questions....The "typical"boot wearer or custom boot wearer for that matter, is in my experience is not the best customer...Not the most interesting projects,enjoyable to work with or the most profitable.I'm not interested in making boots for people who want something simple, or who can't find a pair of boots that fit..There is no profit and its takes just as long to put soles and heels on a $6500 pair of boots as a $600 pair... I don't make anthing under $2500 and average around $3500...so that excludes alot of potential customers right away..Post purchasing interviews with my best customers revealed,when they were deciding between two bootmakers they nearly always chose the more expensive maker.The best customers want to spend money, the boots have more value to them.They like to tell their friends how much they spent.I've heard more than once."Yours cost more so they must be better".....I have boots that start for less on my website ( where most of my customers find me by the way)...but thats for not-to-measure boots,and exactly as they see them, and people usually add on things which may double the price...PROFILE:My custom boot customers profile looks like this and I only market to this group....35-60 years old, 90% men..about 10% west coast,30% east coast, 25% Texas and the rest scattered over Oklahoma ,AZ,. and the midwest...most own their own company,or are ranking high executives,or professionals( law,medical etc.)...six plus figure incomes,married,kids,and nice homes and cars...in short, disposible income...They rarely live a western lifestyle(own horses for example) and usually the only western apparrel they own are my boots and a matching belt with a 3-4 piece sterling buckle set....I rarely use anything other than exotics for the foot, with fancy tops....I make alot of full alligator boots.....These customers are high repeaters....and also purchase alot of other accessories and custom leather goods regularly....Hope this helps...got to go for now...JW
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
John,

That was extremely helpful. I have heard that mantra repeated several times, "Yours cost more so they must be better". It is an interesting phenomena but a truth nontheless.

I appreciate your candid response and I hope you will be open to a few more questions.

Thanks,

Mark C.
01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
All,

Let's hold off posting about the business of the craft until I form a new topic. It will make my moving of these messages to it easier.

Thanks,

Mark
01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Okay everybody, I started a new topic "The Business of the Craft".

Start your Q&A and comments there.

Mark
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone. I hope everyones' thanksgiving went off well.
Has anyone heard of dokuwiki?
It is supposed to be a program that will allow a wikipedia-type environment. I just heard about it and before I go researching, I wanted to ask if that idea is worth pursuing here.
we could make a sort of wikibootmaking
colin
11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Colin,

Never heard of dokuwiki. I don't know how the program would work within a web-page. I'll let you look into that if you can.

But I am not against it if it is a link that we can click and have boot making definitions, etc.

Mark